Tidying … post oil change ground run

Post my engine oil change a ground run to temps to check for leaks and then put cowlings back on.

You never stop ‘doing things’ there are always interesting and useful things to sort out …

Ages ago I started with nice long braided oil cooler hoses but this was all changed when the cooler was re positioned and resized… I made up temp rubber hoses .. that was 3 years ago … need to get braided ones back on …

Also, I was never happy with my wiring .. it works .. but it’s not something I think looks particularly neat … will get some education and training in that area and re work …

Early signs … investigate..

I’ve had an annoying little crackle in the headsets for a while now but have had trouble pinning it down .. at first it was just a low level occasional click but has increased over recent flights to being quite invasive.

When I transmit or receive the radio goes clear as a bell.

Chatting with our visiting avionics specialist he suggested trying to isolate it by turning off circuits and devices and checking to see what happened .. problem was it was definitely more noticable airborne … so not so easy to start wholesale switch offs !

In the end .. the progressive nature of change … I noticed that if I turned the right mag off the click pretty much stopped .. so we had an area to focus on .. but no one in Jersey has a Jabiru and the forums are flooded with conflicting advice …

I also noticed on the last flight that the right mag drop suddenly increased to about 100 .. where the left was only showing about 40 drop ..

Time to ground her and check before any more flying ….

Time to call Paul H Smith at TLAC for a quick bit of advice…

Given the symptoms, he advised to check the Jabiru remanufactured HT lead and fitting out of the mag and, if that looked ok, double check distributor cap and rotor arm

In 5 minutes I’d located the problem … the right rotor arm was clearly not seated firmly and could move ever so slightly ..

At the first 25 hours of engine run time I had been super cautious and changed oil, filter, plugs, rotor arms and distributor caps. The arms were very difficult to get off .. later found they are epoxied in place ..

I had applied epoxy .. sparingly but, I guess, too sparingly … and this arm could move fractionally on its squared stem drive shaft.

Removed, and temporarily put back the original 25 hour unit having cleaned and epoxied

Engine start and run up … radio clear as a bell again …

Also .. Left and Right mag drops back to evenly matched at about 40 rpm each 😉

Fun in the clouds at 3,000′ post permit renewal

Saw that the cloud was clearing and rising so nipped out to buzz for a while

Then back for oil change at just over 25 hours again … decided the cost of changing every 25 far outweighs the short time it takes .. and gives you a great chance to keep on top if things

Day out …

So .. today was a different day … with the great help 2 of my boys Sam and Will …and a myriad of Airport Security, Fire and Rescue services, Jersey Air Traffic and the Jersey Aero Club, we managed to blow the dust off the trailer after 2 years .. and make great use of the fantastic alloy / carbon fibre wing supports … really steady …

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑