First Sherwood SVFR clearance

With viz up and down we suddenly got superb blue sky and clouds rolled away … well for 10 minutes !

Got a SVFR clearance for 1 quick circuit .. thanks to Jersey ATC for great support

Apologies you have to sit through windscreen clean and securing the front seat harnesses..

16 mins in … just airborne before the battery runs out …

Landing number 250

Flying today with Will to check out the radio crackle and 5 landings in lovely sunny calm conditions …

Last landing off a close bad weather circuit tight behind a landing Twin .. expertly spaced by Jersey ATC …was landing number 250

Earlier landing shot

Radio crackle

When I installed the brand new Trig radios and transponder they were clear as a bell .. in any flight conditions …

After 3 plus years I’m starting to get crackles and background noise which is becoming increasingly annoying and distracting.

This has been ongoing for a few months now and what I had passed off as an annoying background buzz has become a pain now …

On Transmit and Receive it’s generally really clear But P1 to P2 is very difficult .. 100% clear on startup and for the first few minutes

The LAA published a really useful multi page guide which I have now started to work through … step by step…

I started by removing and cleaning and refitting the earth points for the main battery to engine earth point … the regulator earth point and both radio headset earth points, Tested today .. 4th Nov and although slightly better for a while .. it came back around 15 mins into the flight.

Reading the article it starts to get you to narrow things down .. like does it go with. Revs, does it go with. Additional power etc

It’s def not tied explicitly to revs … ie like an old unchoked car radio .. the whine increasing with revs .. it DOESNT do that …but … it defiantly gets louder with increased power

NEXT check …. will look at each of the direct battery connections …

my guess .. is that .. in the salty sea air we constantly fly and park in … that, after 3 years plus .. I’m getting build up on various connectors and, as the LAA very useful paper notes, I’m getting arcing where a bad earth is letting build up happen … and then it buzzes as it arcs …

watch this space ….

Stampe SV4C – Taxi after Antwerp flight

After a long a busy and hectic couple of days flying from Jersey to Antwerp for my first massive formation flight … I was taxiing the short distance from the aero club to Aviation Beauport .. do I look knackered or what

Yes .. it was chocked on startup …

Guernsey exempted flight for Horse Chiropractor

Having gone through all the permission and exemption paperwork to allow an inter island flight during Covid … we eventually got approval late in the Saturday evening for the flight. Paperwork and flight plans done whilst eating a meal at the local Indian restaurant ! We lined up at just before 8am Sunday morning

Jersey was using runway 08 but 26 favours a more direct flight to Guernsey and ATC kindly let me hold at 26 threshold as they cleared a small exec jet off 08

Having been cleared and the stop bar lights went out I taxied forward and then the lights illuminated again before I crossed .. slammed brakes on and stopped but it was ok and he tower apologised and said ok to go .. turning lights off again … good to keep on your toes .. always

I usually get the option for nice tight circuits at Jersey .. but they know me and we have grown together .. so they know how the aircraft behaves and how it can handle much tighter base turns … Guernsey cleared me to join right base 09 and so took the opportunity to do a ‘normal’ Sherwood approach …

Having landed and taxied up the short taxiway we were followed by the crash vehicle .. maybe some form of additional security .. with heightened local restrictions … we were probably the first landing that day at just after 0830…

Taxied up to ASG handling agent to be batted in by local guy and then met by 2 customers officials with entry forms … gendecs were already posted the previous day. The customs guy ended up taking a photo of the aircraft as they weren’t expecting such a ‘plane !!

This video also shows Jo expertly getting out of the close front cockpit with great dexterity ! … standard HUG for all new passengers

Long overdue washdown

Managed to get a long overdue Washford today… lots of fresh water and leathered down.

Even went as far as to slot the leather between the aileron leading edge and its frise fitting …

Also lying on your back is a good time to really check all hinges and joints very closely

It’s a bit like a wind tunnel ….

Another by product of having a smoke system is you get to see, first hand, exactly where your exhaust goes ….

Turns out .. my 2 small slits around the undercarriage legs let wind, exhaust etc into the cockpit areas … ok it’s open topped and whizzes straight through BUT .. not great ….

When smoking … and pulling up in a stall .. like most flights …! The cockpit gets smoke coming through ..

Solution … two small leather patches glued around the gap to make a seal and also look traditional with pinked edges

Brake blocks

After 3 years plus of flying in various forms of footwear … i try to use soft soled shoes so you can feel the rudders better … but have sometimes flown in boots ..ive managed to loosen the wooden block that supports the left rudder bar and lets it slide smoothly over the alloy footplate.

Its glued in and I wasn’t convinced it would last but it has stood up to some hefty footwork well …

May get a new fresh softwood block made up and glue and screw fix into position

Blog at

Up ↑